I am still on a mission to raise the profile of chicken livers. Here at the Shack we have these at least once a week since discovering their deliciousness and have started substituting ingredients for livers whenever we can as they literally make you feel like a fricking power house once you’ve eaten them. Seriously.
Livers are also loaded with iron to give you energy and a turbo injection of certain B vitamins, most notably B12. This nutritional profile makes them a good choice for anyone prone to anaemia. There are 99 calories in 3 ounces of Chicken Liver broken down into 38% fat, 0% carbs, 62% protein.
Still not sold? Try this amazing Mrs Shack Carbonara recipe for wood smoked, creamy, pasta dreaminess.
What you need:
1 pack of chicken livers (normally they come in approx. 400g packs. For an extra special treat we used these amazing herb fed chicken livers from Herb Fed Poultry)
1 pack of streaky bacon or bacon lardons
1 pack of spaghetti or tagliatelle
Small block of parmesan cheese grated
Salt, pepper, mixed herbs
- Pat the livers with a kitchen towel and just get rid of some of the excess juices then add the salt, pepper and mixed herbs
- Heat some olive oil in a cast iron pan and cook the livers with the bacon on the wood pellet grill at 190c. Most typical liver recipes suggest that livers only need a quick sear but personally I leave them on for as long as the bacon about 10- 15 minutes in total so they are still pink but not as bloody. I’m not that much of a carnivore you know…
- MEANWHILE in the kitchen cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Then drain but hold back about a ladle full of pasta water.
- In a mixing bowl add the parmesan cheese with the two eggs to get this scrambled looking mixture.
- Transfer the pasta, cheesey egg mix into a massive cast iron cauldron and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes to let everything settle together and whilst you are chopping up the liver and bacon.
- Soooooooo good … how can you be scared of livers??
- Mix everything together, it’s ready to go…
- Be sure you serve on a poncy looking wood board….
A MASSIVE Thank you to Herb Fed Poultry for the amazing chicken livers. Herb Fed Poultry pride themselves on traditionally farmed, hand-fed chickens kept in small flocks so that they are truly free to forage for food and roam their Yorkshire pasture.
Their birds have something else rather special about them – they have a unique diet which includes over 10 varieties of fresh herbs and believe us you can actually taste this unique difference in the cook. Blimey, they get more greens than me!
Herb Fed Poultry are only producers in the country feeding poultry on this diet maintaining the highest possible animal welfare standards. Definitely get the seal of approval from the Shack household!